Scottiglia di Cinghiale (Mixed Wild Boar Stew)
• 1.8kg of mixed wild boar cuts, such as leg or loin chops, including bone
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
• 1 celery stalk, trimmed and chopped
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• Small piece of dried chilli
• 1 cup of dry red wine
• 600g plum (egg) tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 cup light meat stock
Cut the meat into bite sized pieces. In a roasting pan over moderate heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and fry gently for a few minutes. Add the wild boar and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the carrot, celery, parsley, thyme and chilli. Stir well and pour in the wine. Lower the heat and cook until the wine evaporates, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 hours, gradually adding the stock when the pan becomes too dry.
Ladle the meat and sauce onto a platter and serve.